- Key concepts:
- SHARE festival 2008, SHARE contest, digital art prize
- Attention Conservation Notice:
- an announcement probably pretty typical of the work I will be up to for the next seven months. It's about Italian cyberculture and design.
Competition Announcement: Share Prize 2008 Introduction
SHARE AWARD : DIGITAL ART PRIZE 2008
Piemonte Share Festival announces the second edition of the Share Prize 2008 for digital art. The competition jury will award a prize of E2,500.00 to the work (published or unpublished) which best represents experimentation between arts and new technologies.
(((I am the chairman of this competition jury. Yes, me! As all entrants to Viridian Design Contests know, I take such duties with lethal seriousness. Are you an experimental new-media digital-arts type with a hankering to stun all Europe? You are? Then trot that thing over pronto.)))
The candidates for the prize (a short list of a maximum of 6 competitors) will be guests at the 4th edition of the Share Festival, taking place in Turin March 2008 at the Accademia Albertina di Belle Arti, Turin. In order to be declared winner of the prize, every artist has to take part in the 4th edition of Share Festival, by preparing his or her work of art, to be properly evaluated by jury and public.
The organization is available at offering all the costs regarding the preparation of the 6 selected works as well as travel and accommodation expenses for the artists, and, possibly, the prize itself. (((That's right, we will FLY YOU TO EUROPE and likely feed you spaghetti there, given that the Euro is at an unprecedented $1.38. That'll might even make up for mysterious Italian withholding taxes on the Italian prize.)))
Nomination of 6 candidates for the prize: by November, 2007. The announcement will be published on the following website: www.toshare.it The winner will be announced in March 2008 during the award ceremony at Share Festival. (((And I certainly plan to attend that and to congratulate the winner personally.)))
The prize aims to discover, promote and sustain digital arts. (((Who can't like THAT?!)))
The contest is open to any Italian and foreign artist using digital technology as a language of creative expression, in all its shapes and formats and in combination with analogical technologies and/or any other material (i.e. computer animation / visual effects, digital music, interactive art, net art, software art, live cinema/vj, audiovisual performance, etc.). Each artist or group can enter up to 3 works. Artists who are part of a group participating in the contest may also enter up to 3 individual works.
Participating entries must be registered on the site www.toshare.it using the registration form.
Registration and description of the competition entry forms should be either in English or Italian; English is preferred.
Conditions of exclusion
The competition is not open to:
- Jury members, organising body, their partners or relatives up to the sixth degree inclusive (((That's right, I can't plan to enter myself! Even though I am a net.art critic of long standing, and I not only know what I like, I even know why it's good!)))
- employees or collaborators of Jury members or announcement committee
- anyone who drew up the competition or any associated document
- any person working as a civil servant in Public Institutions or Administrations unless it is specifically permitted by the administration of affiliation (((This is Europe, they have to say stuff like that)))
- unfinished projects or work (((This means you, design students == you actually have to finish the project and ship it.)))
a. Entries must be registered on the site www.toshare.it by using the registration form only.
b. Registration must take place by 12.00 pm on 30 September 2007. Entries after that date, for whatever reason, will be excluded from the competition. (((That's why I'm telling you NOW.)))
Candidates must fill in the on line registration form available at www.toshare.it
Applications must contain the following information:
- Title of the work
- C.V. of artist or artists (in case of new groups of artists, each member's C.V. is necessary)
- Concise description of the work (max. 150 words).
- URL documents concerning the work itself, where further details of the work can be found (see Art. 6bis)
- No material must be sent (paper, DVD, CD, etc) in addition to the specific requests of the public notice. Art. 6bis Further details on URL document Every participant must provide further details from those given in the information on a specific web site. It must contain:
- Description of the work (max 500 words) explaining the main concept and technologies used
- Images (.jpg) and/or video (.avi) and/or audio (.mp3) of the work
- C.V. of artist or artists (in case of new groups of artists, each member's C.V. is necessary) NB: competitors are responsible for the design and costs incurred in producing the Web Site regarding the work for the contest.
The jury, meeting in non-public sessions, will select 6 works among those presented for the contest within November, 2007. The candidates for the prize (a short list of a maximum of 6 competitors) will be asked to take part in the 4th edition of the Share Festival, taking place in Turin March 2007 at the Accademia Albertina di Belle Arti, Turin. (((An academy not far from the romantic banks of the River Po, an area of slanting sunbeams, cute cobbled plazas, straw-wrapped Chianti bottles, sunglassed babes in tailored Milanese suits and stiletto heels, yes, when they said "Belle Arti" they weren't kidding about it)))
The announcement will be published on the following website: www.toshare.it
The winner will be announced on March 2008 during the award ceremony at Share Festival.
The jury is composed by:
Bruce Sterling (writer and journalist, Austin) - chairman
Piero Gilardi (artist, Turin) Anne Nigten (managing director, v2 e DEAF, Rotterdam) Oscar Abril Ascaso (curator Sonar, Barcelona) Stefano Mirti (architect, Interaction design Lab, Milano
(((That's right, your jury's from Austin, Turin, Rotterdam, Barcelona and Milan == so try not to suck!)))
The Contest Information offices are located at Association The Sharing premises. General coordination: Manuela De Caro tel. +39.011. 588.36.93 faxes: 0039.011.83.91304 email@example.com
Property and rights concerning projects and selected works
With the registration to the contest, the authors of the winning works grant The Sharing Association the right to publish and reproduce the works, totally or partly, as part of cultural promotion.
Publishing this notice
This notice is made up of three pages and will be published via Internet at the following address: www.toshare.it. News will also be available via all interested parties.
*two thousands five hundreds gross taxes and national insurance contributions (((I'll let you know when I figure out what that means.)))
Manuela De Caro
experiences in digital cultures